Thursday, January 29, 2009

Uncle!

That's it. I give up. Uncle! There. I said it.

Let's play a little game that I like to call The Carpenter Household Illness of The Week, shall we?

This week I hear that they are running a special on ear infections - two for the price of one. What a deal!

Out of the 8 ears in our family - 4 have infections. Good times....

My allergies have been acting up and my ears started to hurt on Monday. Well... I put off going to the doctor because there was ice, because there wasn't time, and because I'm a mom and I just cannot be sick. This morning I decided that I couldn't take the pain anymore and made myself an appointment.

What do ya know??? A double ear infection. I got my antibiotic prescription and went about my merry way.

Well... Drew has been fussy this week, not eating well, not sleeping well, and just not himself. I decided today to bite the bullet and take him to the pediatrician's office for the bazillionth time. I can't even begin to tell you how frustrated I am with all of the visits we have made to that office. I am just waiting for them to give us our own personal key or at least name one of the exam rooms after us. When you've paid as many $15 copays as we have, that's the least that they can do, right?

Anyway, our pediatrician was out of town, so the receptionist informed me that we would be seeing the doctor that is filling in for him. I was so desperate that I didn't care. A doctor is a doctor, right? WRONG!

This lady was so rude. After I explained to her that he was fussy and not sleeping, she asked if he was congested. I told her that he was. She replied (smugly, I might add), "well, I haven't examined him yet, but I think that I know what the problem is. When babies are congested and can't breathe very well, they don't sleep well." Well, duh, lady! I get that. I'm telling you that there is something else wrong.

She then proceeded to tell me that she couldn't look in Drew's ears until he stopped crying. Ummmm, okay.... Well, I haven't found the mute button on him yet, but I'll look again.

When he did settle down, she confirmed that he, too, has a double ear infection. Thank you very much!

So... that's our day in a nut shell.

Surely the antibiotics will kick in just in time for us to have a fabulous weekend, right?

(Editor's Note: No, ear infections are not contagious. It is merely a coincidence that Drew and I happen to have them at the same time. Lucky us!)

6 comments:

Angie said...

Oh Sarah...I am so sorry about the ear infections....you poor things! And to have a crummy doctor to top it off. Ya, I have asked my doctor if they would atleast do some sort of frequent flyer miles or something for those of us the frequent the office but that didn't happen! Hope you all feel better soon!

Brad and Emily said...

I'm sorry y'all don't feel well, but I have to admit, I laughed out loud when I read your comment about not being able to locate the mute button on Drew! HA! Hilarious.
Here's hoping the meds kick in and y'all have a pleasant and enjoyable weekend!

Matt and Cindy Fleharty said...

Feel better, yos! Smug doctors make me wanna throw a can of beans.

Gran said...

I probably would not just throw beans. A Mack truck would be more to my liking. I only wish I were closer to be a real grandmother and help you. I love all eight of your ears.

Hannah said...

At least your copay is only 15! Didn't Clayton get lots of ear infections? Oh wait, wasn't he a little older though? And about the doctor, I guess your mute button was on or an angel was holding your lips closed 'cause I think I would have had a hard time being quiet. But you feel like crud so that probably helped. Sorry to ramble!

Tara said...

I hope you guys start feeling better!!!!