Monday, January 05, 2009

He's "Movin' On Up...

To a dee-luxe apartment in the sky!" The Jeffersons, anyone?

One of the first things that drew me to our current house was the closet in the master bedroom. It is bigger than our previous closet and has great built ins. I remember thinking that it was big enough to be a small bedroom. Hold that thought...

When Drew was born, we put him in our room in the pack 'n play to sleep (as most parents of newborns do). Well, let me tell you what, that is the gruntin'est little baby I have ever heard! I would wake up throughout the night with every little grunting noise that he made. What made matters worse was that a certain someone (who shall remain nameless, of course!) was snoring as well. The combination of those noises = no sleep for Mama. So... I devised a plan. I would put Drew's pack 'n play in our closet and keep the doors open so that I could hear him when he cried. Perfect.

Our little set up has worked well. I am not awakened by Drew's sweet little baby noises, but I can hear him the moment that he cries. The problem has been during the day when Drew is napping in the closet. I can't put away laundry, take a shower, or blow dry my hair. So, today he has slept in his crib for the first time for all of his naps. I still think it will be several more weeks before I am brave enough to have him sleep overnight in his crib. Mostly because I fear a) tripping down the stairs (again) with him in my arms and b) that he will wake Clayton who is sleeping right across the hall.

For now, Drew is napping in his crib during the day. I hope that appeases all of our family and friends who have relentlessly teased me about our current sleeping situation! :)

Drew's sleeping arrangements before...
and after.

2 comments:

Brent and Abbey said...

Whoah Mama! Big move! That is kid of sad... now I won't get a good laugh when I come over next time! Love it!

Hannah said...

I worried about Jenna waking up Jacob too. Didn't happen! Oh, and Jacob used to sleep in a pack-and-play in his sitter's closet (dark and quiet) so don't feel bad.