Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Easter Activities

Last week, on the way home from preschool, Clayton said, "Mommy, Easter isn't all about chocolate or bunnies. It's about a cross and an empty tomb." Amen to that!

It is so neat to have a child that is old enough to learn about the Bible and Christian principles. I know that I write often about how much I love the baby stage (and, Lord knows that I DO love babies!). But, there is nothing better than hearing your child talk about God, and knowing that he is starting to understand the magnitude of what Christ did for us.

I am not the most creative person in the world, so I struggle with knowing how to put difficult topics on a child's level. Lucky for me, I have smart friends and an ex-preschool teacher for a mom! I had heard about a couple of activities to help teach the concept of the resurrection of Christ. I thought that they were neat ideas and wanted to share them on here with you all. :)

1. First, I bought Resurrection Eggs. I heard about these from some of the ladies in Mom to Mom. I bought them HERE, but I've heard that they carry them at Walmart sometimes. You could also make your own. They were fun to do, but I made the mistake of going through them all in one sitting. It was hard for Clayton to sit still through it all and concentrate on what I was saying. Next year, I am going to start 12 days before Easter and do one a day until Easter.

Still, it was a fun activity.


2. Yesterday we made Resurrection Cookies. I got the recipe in an email from my sweet friend, Abbey. But, you can also find it HERE. He really enjoyed making them!
The Ingredients
I've never let him use the kitchen mallet before.
(And probably won't let him again for a long, long time...)

Yep, that's his lightsaber on the cooking surface. Nice.
They come out looking like little meringue cookies.
They are hollow in the middle - like the empty tomb. Cool, huh?
Tomorrow we are going to make jelly bean bags for all of his school friends, and attach the "Jelly Beans Tell A Story" poem by Barbara Hook (click HERE to read it).
I hope that these ideas are as helpful for you all as they have been for us! I think these will be fun traditions that will, hopefully, help our kids to remember what Easter is really all about.

0 comments: