Sunday, April 19, 2009

Birthday Beauties

This weekend we got to celebrate the birthdays of two of my favorite girls! Danyelle's birthday party was on Saturday, and Makinley's party was today. Both of these girls hold a very special place in my heart!

I met Baby Danyelle when she was just 1 day old. She was a patient in the PICU at Children's and I was assigned to be her nurse. She had PPHN and was gravely ill. I was at a point where I was totally burnt out and beat down by life as a PICU nurse. Several patients that I was close to had passed away and I was seriously second guessing my career choice. I was so filled with grief, and prayed constantly that God would give me a patient that would have a good outcome.

I will never forget the nurse giving me change of shift report on Danyelle. She sounded so sick as the nurse went through all of her history. At the end of it all she said, "but she has an awesome family. They are going to love you and you are going to love them!" Man, was she ever right! I fell in love with her family and claimed Danyelle to be "my baby" at work. :)

Danyelle had a rocky road and gave us several big scares, but she did have a wonderful outcome. Her family was so appreciative and kind. They were the answer to my prayers and boasted my spirits so much. We kept in close contact even after Danyelle was discharged from the hospital. Her mom, Leslie, and I became good friends. We have scrapbooked together and laughed a ton over the years.

I have really enjoyed watching "Baby" Danyelle grow into a lovely little girl. She is so special to me. :)

Baby Danyelle (this is a picture that her mom gave me while she was in the hospital)

This is her exactly 5 years later. How's that for a good outcome?!?!


We also got to celebrate my sweet niece, Makinley's, birthday. I can't believe that it has been 8 years since we were sitting at the Ranger game and got the call that Leigh Ann was in labor. I loved that little bundle of pink from the first time that I laid eyes on her! She is such a beautiful girl - inside & out. I absolutely adore her!



What a joy it was to see these precious girls celebrate their birthdays!

1 comments:

Leah said...

Ahhhh, thanks for sharing that story and picture of your sweet PICU little miracle. So sweet to see that healthy smile...5 years later.

Makinley is ever so lucky to have you as an aunt, too! Love the last pic of Clayton and her with her cake...he is seriously contemplating which piece of the cake he is going to have!

P.S Can't wait to see some Disneyland posts...have fun this week!