Thursday, December 25, 2008

Martha Stewart I am Not...

While we were in Houston visiting my parents, my Mom gave me a gingerbread house mold that she has had since Becca & I were little. She printed out a recipe for gingerbread and encouraged me to make a gingerbread house for Clayton to decorate.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am NOT Betty Crocker. I can follow a very simple recipe or make a boxed cake mix, but that is the extent of my culinary skills. If I were going to make a gingerbread house, I would go straight to the store and buy a kit. But... since my sweet Mama gave me a mold, I must use it, right?

So, I made homemade gingerbread - all spice, molasses, the whole nine yards! The first two attempts at baking it in the mold were a complete disaster. I was about to chunk the whole batch. Then I called my mom, got some pointers, and tried one last time. It finally worked! Clayton and I (actually, Clayton ate candy while I did all the hard work!) decorated our gingerbread house tonight. It is far from perfect, but it was made from scratch with lots of love. :)



(For the record: Clayton is wearing a longsleeved white tee shirt and grey pants because that is what he picked today. He wanted to look as much like a storm trooper as possible. HA!)

2 comments:

Gran said...

How impressed am I! Fantastic job. I know each effort was filled with love.

Hannah said...

Great job guys!