Sunday, February 01, 2009

Things that I had forgotten...

There are so many things about having a new baby that I had forgotten in the 3 1/2 years between Baby Clayton and Baby Drew. I had forgotten:

1. how quickly you fall in love with your baby. How your heart swells so BIG when you see your baby for the first time, that you feel like you may not be able to contain it within your body. It's amazing how instantly you feel that intense love.

2. the ridiculous amounts of diapers that babies go throw. Holy toledo!!! I once figured out exactly how much diapers cost - roughly 20 cents. Sometimes Drew goes through 3 in a matter of minutes. I try to tell him that he isn't being very "cost effective," but, so far, my scoldings are met with a gummy grin that makes it totally worth the 60 cents that he just cost me.

3. the way that a new baby smells. Seriously, is that not the best scent in the entire universe?!?!? If only there was a way to bottle the "new baby" scent and release it into the atmosphere, I am certain that there would be no more war, no more terrorism, no more fighting. I'm pretty sure that "new baby" scent is the answer to world peace. How can you not feel all warm & fuzzy inside when you smell a new baby's sweet little head?!?!

4. the massive amounts of laundry that babies create. How is it possible that, with clothes so tiny, Drew makes 2-3 loads of laundry a week all by himself??? Between the onesies, the burpies, the socks, the blankets, etc. I feel like our washer and dryer are running nonstop.

5. how razor sharp those tiny little fingernails are. Oh my goodness, those suckers can really scratch you! Drew looks like a prize fighter with all the gashes he has across his little face. Thank goodness for Photoshop, right?

6. that terrifying feeling that you have when you wake up in the middle of the night scared to death that your baby has stopped breathing. Isn't that the worst feeling in the world? I have made a mad dash to the crib to put my hands on Drew's chest just feel him take a few breaths.

7. how you feel that ooey-gooey first love feeling when your baby smiles at you for the first time. That feeling that your child recognizes you and somehow appreciates you giving him life. It makes all the misery of pregnancy worth it.

I love everything about babies.... I love them even more when they are mine. :)

3 comments:

Matt and Sarah Pitts said...

I agree with everything posted here!! I know it won't last forever...and it makes my heart melt when Grace gets excited that I entered the room. :)

I finally made it to B-35 yesterday! I missed you, I hope your ears are feeling better!!

Sarah

aassqqqw said...

the new baby smell?

Is it better than puppy breath?
Better than a new car smell?

Gran said...

My, Drew does not look like a baby... :-( I know growing up is the plan, but please slow down, Baby Drew.