Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"I've fallen and I can't get up."

I have mentioned before that Wade calls me "a walking I Love Lucy episode." He's right - I have really bad luck. If something could happen, it will happen to me. After all, this has happened to me. Oh, and this. And, then there's this.

Which brings me to yesterday...

We had a busy day and were gone all morning and afternoon. Then I came home and made dinner for a couple from church that just had a baby. By the time that I dropped their meal off and came back home it was 7:45. I fed the boys dinner and decided to start on laundry before I put them in the tub.

I hurried upstairs to get the boys' laundry hamper. I was trying to be quick because Drew was sitting in his high chair with some Cheerios and Clayton was finishing up his dinner. On the way up the stairs, I noticed that Clayton's Captain America costume was laying in the way. I just stepped over it and figured that I would see it on the way back down the stairs. Well, I was carrying the laundry bin and didn't see it on the way down. I slipped and fell down about 5 steps. My sunglasses flew off my head, I dropped the laundry basket, and my leg/foot was contorted into an odd position as I fell down the stairs. When I got to the bottom of the stairs my ankle was killing me. I was just certain that it was broken.

Have I mentioned that Wade was out of town on a business trip? Well, he was.

So, I was screaming in agony, couldn't move, and Drew was crying because he had run out of Cheerios by this point. Clayton was totally freaked out and came running to the stairs. Y'all, I am pretty tough on Clayton and, at times, he is really difficult to parent. But, he has the sweetest heart. He immediately said, "Mama, what can I do to help?" Before I knew it, he had gone to the freezer and brought me his Spiderman ice pack that I used to send in his lunch box. Then he said, "Do you want me to go outside and scream for help?" Precious child - bless his heart.

I assured him that was not necessary. I (thank heavens) had my cell phone in my pocket. So, I called Wade. He was, of course, hundreds of miles away, so he called some of our friends from church to come over and help me. Todd and Leah sped over to rescue me.

I was completely and totally mortified that our friends were going to see me, my house, and my kids in such a state. I was sitting on the floor at the bottom of the stairs unable to move (picture the lady from the Lifecall commercial). I was a hot mess, for sure! My kids were both in desperate need of a bath and Drew was hysterically crying in his highchair. My house was a mess from the day. I was so embarrassed, but I was hurting so bad that I couldn't even think about it.

So, Leah stayed with the boys and Todd drove me to the ER. I was pretty sure on the drive to the hospital that my ankle wasn't broken (I could move my toes, had a good pulse, and it didn't look broken), but it was still hurting really bad. I was praying the whole way there that it wasn't broken. It is my right ankle, so I wouldn't be able to drive. I wouldn't be able to go upstairs. I couldn't take care of my babies. I just don't have time to have a broken ankle!

Luckily, they did X-rays and it isn't broken. It's just a bad sprain. So, I am now the proud owner of a walking boot and crutches. Lovely. I'm sure that Clayton will be hitting me up for my medical paraphernalia to make into his latest costume. But, my luck, he would leave the boot and crutches on the stairs and then, well, we all know that is the makings of another accident for this Lucy. Ha!

I am just so thankful that a)I had my phone in my pocket, b)our sweet friends were able to come so quickly and took such good care of us, c)Wade was able to catch a flight home this morning, and d)it isn't broken. It could have been so much worse!

I have to say that I was so proud of my little superhero! It hit me through all of this that he is really growing up. He got me an ice pack, got Drew some more Cheerios, put the dog in the laundry room, and was just so sweet. As soon as Leah & Todd walked in the door, he said, "I really appreciate you coming over!" It was like he was the man of the house. :)

I would post a picture of my ankle in all of its glory, but I haven't had a pedicure in over a month. So, I'll spare you. You're welcome.

Instead, I'll leave you with a picture from yesterday of Clayton in the costume that he made up. He came downstairs with his nanny (security blanket) around his neck, secured with a chip clip. He also had his Brownie (the puppy that he sleeps with) tucked in the elastic from his shorts. He said, "Mommy, I'm Nanny Man and this is my sidekick, Brownie."

You gotta love him.



P.S. Thank you so much, Todd and Leah, for all that you did last night! Leah tidied up my kitchen, bathed my boys, put the boys to bed, and took Sydney outside. Todd drove me to the ER and sat with me the whole time. Y'all are such sweet pals and I owe you BIG time!

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Sarah! I'm so sorry! I'm glad it's not broken too. :) I was about to call you this afternoon and EK started having a meltdown. I thought I'd spare you the screams. :)

Kim said...

You really keep me entertained! Sorry about the ankle and fall but LOVE the stories!

Love you

Kimi

Hannah said...

Darling Sarah! Get well soon! And kiss that Clay-boy! What good work he does!

Leigh Ann said...

You poor thing! If I only had a dime for everytime I have fallen down my stairs!!! It happens more than I like to admit! I hope you recover quickly! I can come out next week and stay if you need me too!

Gran said...

Thank you, God, for amazing friends - and an awesome son. Clayton's actions are the result of loving parenting and a quick mind. He can see the situation with adult eyes. What other 4 year old would think of an ice pack for pain and be Nanny Man to bring a smile! God is good.

The Scogin Family said...

Oh my goodness - so glad Clayton was there to help and that your ankle wasn't broken!! I have to say I literally laughed outloud at the hale story and your windows rolling down...that's hilarious! :) Glad you're okay and Wade was able to come home!!

Chris and Amanda said...

I'm so glad you're okay (you and Emily don't need stairs in your home) but I have to admit I almost cried I was laughing so hard about Clayton volunteering to go outside and scream for help. He has obviously seen Wade take good care of you so he knows what to do.

Chris

Brad and Emily said...

Sarah - bless your heart! I feel your pain! Way to go, Clayton! What a sweet (and creative) little boy you are raising!
And Chris - when we were looking for a house, Brad would not allow us to even consider a two-story house because of me. Lovely.

Megan said...

haha, "I really appreciate you coming over" That is the best.
Sarah, so sorry about your ankle! Crutches are the worst.

Albus Adventures said...

Feel better soon sister!! I wish we were closer so we could help you out! LOVE that Clay Boy and Drew Boo too!

Angie said...

Oh Sarah....I am so sorry about this...I can't believe that I am just now reading this and finding out about this. I am so sorry that happened....but what a great little boy you have!!! Way to go Clayton!! Hope you are feeling better.