Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Quack, Quack - Me & My Big Ideas

Yesterday I had the grand idea to walk to the duck pond near our house and feed the ducks. The duck pond is about a mile away, and it was a sunny day with a lovely breeze. I envisioned a nice leisurely walk while pushing Drew in the stroller. Clayton could get some exercise by riding his bike ahead of us.

Sounds downright dreamy, doesn't it?

As I was unfolding the stroller and getting Clayton's bike, Clayton informed me that he would rather ride in the stroller with Drew.

Uh, okay. Scratch the part about Clayton riding his bike ahead of us.

So I pushed my 56 pounds worth of kids in the sit & stand stroller all the way to the duck pond. When we finally arrived, I pulled out all of our stale bread from the basket under the stroller. I handed some to Clayton and started throwing a few bits towards the ducks. As I looked over at Clayton, I realized that the my little carbohydrate addict was stuffing fistfuls of stale bread into his mouth. Apparently he was on his third piece by the time that I caught him. Lovely.

The bread crook

Drew peeking out from under the pseudo-tent that I MacGyvered to protect his precious baby skin

The ducks seemed rather uninterested in our bread offerings, so we packed up and headed back home.
By this time, the breeze was gone and it was HOT, HOT, HOT. I was praying for a little air to blow my way. No such luck, though!
So, to recap, I sweated buckets as I pushed my two freeloaders (albeit cute freeloaders, but freeloaders nonetheless) two miles so that I could toss two measly pieces of bread at an uninterested duck and Clayton could snack on week old Mrs. Baird's. Not exactly what I had pictured in my head... ;)

3 comments:

Gran said...

What a good mom you are! Just think of the episode as making a memory. ;-)

Hannah said...

Oh Sarah, your stories make me laugh. Just think of the great workout you got!

Jacob would have LOVED Clayton's day at the construction site too. He knows every digger out there! But he sure LOVES the fire trucks and fire fighters.

He actually has a rescue heros police car (I got at a consignment sale) but I have never been able to find the people. Now I know why! Maybe I'll check ebay. Sorry this is so long!!!

Tara said...

That is too funny!!! You crack me up.