Monday, May 07, 2012

Owen is O-N-E!!!

There's no more denying it... our precious baby is ONE today!  I feel like he has always been a part of our family, but it feels like just yesterday that he took his first breath.  It has been a sweet, sweet year with our little "grand finale" baby.  He has brought nothing but pure joy to our family!
 


Wade, Clayton, Drew, and I all went in to Owen's room as a group to sing "Happy Birthday" when he woke up this morning.  He started smiling around his pacifier and clapping.  Darling boy...
Of course, we put a candle in his baby food and sang again.  You can never sing enough on someone's birthday, in my opinion.  ;)
At O-N-E:

*  I haven't done Owen's height and weight.  He is going to the pediatrician for his well check on Wednesday, so I will post official measurements then.  He is wearing size 18 month clothes, size 3 diapers, and a size 4 shoe. 

* He is getting really good at his sippy cup!  I was not as good about offering it early like I did with the other two.  We just started working on it the last few weeks and, thankfully, he picked it right up.  I don't think we are quite ready to ditch the bottle, but we are moving in the right direction.  :)
 *  He isn't really saying any "words" per se.  He says a lot of "ma-ma" (which thrills me to no end, even though he doesn't associate it with me - ha!), "guh", and "buh."  I am certain that O will be a late talker - he couldn't get a word in with his brothers around if he tried!  That would have stressed me out to no end with Clayton and Drew, but I am much more laid back this go 'round.  He'll hit that language explosion before too long...
 *  He still only has his two teeny-tiny, itty-bitty bottom teeth - for now...  I can almost feel his top left tooth about to break through.  He has been showing all of the signs of teething for the past couple of weeks and was especially grumpy today.  As sad as I will be to see that bare top gum go, I am ready to get over this hurdle.  Crabby McCraberson needs to leave and bring my happy baby back!
*  When Owen started sleeping in his crib, we started turning his mobile on when we laid him down.  It was just part of our routine.  Well, old habits die hard.  We just keep rigging it higher and higher to keep it out of his reach - ha! 

*  He still eats baby food 3 times a day - oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, 2 veggies for lunch, and a veggie and meat combo for dinner.  He usually has yogurt at some point as well.  We still haven't really tackled table foods.  He's happy, so we're just going to ride the baby food train as long as possible.  :)

* O learned how to blow kisses this month, and it is absolutely adorable.  I must get video of that ASAP.
 *  He also closes his eyes hard and we all crack up laughing.  He does it over and over again just to get a laugh.  Silly boy...
*  Owen hasn't taken any steps independently yet - thank goodness!  I have two other children that run circles around me, so I am perfectly happy for him to remain a crawler for awile.  However, he is crazy fast with this walking toy that Grammie & Papaw got him for Christmas.  Look at him go!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

My Dearest Owen Thomas,

You are a whole year old!  It just doesn't seem possible...  I keep telling myself that you are just 365 days old and that tomorrow you will be 366 days old.  It's just another day.  You are still the same baby that you were yesterday.  You aren't magically transformed into a big kid just because it's the anniversary of your birth.  But even still...  ONE is a big deal.

I feel like you have been a baby for a good amount of time.  You still look so tiny to me and still snuggle close like a baby.  I am so grateful for that.  I prayed and prayed that you would stay a baby for a long time, and you are doing just that.  Thank you for fulfilling all of my wishes for your babyhood.  You are so much more than I could have ever dreamed of.

Your birthday party is coming up and I am so excited about it.  I love first birthday parties.  I have loved planning each of my boys' first parties.  I think that it is a coping mechanism.  Immersing myself in a project helps me not to wallow in the emotion of your first year of life being over.  I saw a Dr. Suess quote online that said, "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened."  That is so true of this first year.  I can't be sad that it is over when I think of all of the joy that we have shared together.  I know that you were meant to be mine.  I am so grateful to God that He loaned you to me.  He knew before the beginning of time that I would be your Mama.  That's so awesome to me.

I love you so very much, Dear One.  You are a tremendous blessing, a constant joy, and a picture of God's grace poured out on me.  I am crazy about you!  I look forward to many, many more celebrations of your birth.  Happy Birthday, Baby Boy!

I love you to the moon and back,
Mommy 

1 comments:

Matt and Cindy Fleharty said...

Happy birthday to sweet baby boy, Owen!! I hope it's a great "one!"