Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What am I going to do with this kid???

Last week we were sitting at the dinner table and talking. Clayton started to ask questions about Wade's paycheck. I think that he was trying to figure out the concept of automatic bank drafts. He was asking about how the money gets from Wade's company to where we can spend it. Wade explained it to him by saying something along the lines of, "my company puts my paycheck in the bank and then mom and I can get the money out to pay for things like groceries, gas, and clothes."

Clayton's eyes lit up and he said, "Oooohhhhhh, I get it! You and Mom have a symbiotic relationship!"

Wade and I just looked at each other like, "Did he just say what I think he said???" and then we died laughing. What are we going to do with this kid? Ha!

It turns out that he learned about symbiotic relationships from Wild Kratts, a television show on PBS. Wade videoed his full explanation about the honey guide bird and the honey badger after dinner. What a crack up!



In other Clayton news, he reached a monumental goal this weekend. Wade is a big Dave Ramsey fan. We have done the Financial Peace University course, and we are both believers in the concepts. Shortly after we finished our course, Wade ordered Clayton the Financial Peace Jr. materials to teach him about money. He has been working with Clayton since February on earning his commission each week and then dividing his money up into Save, Spend, and Give envelopes. He set his goal to save enough money to buy a Nintendo DS. He has turned into quite the little saver. Between his commission over the last few months combined with birthday money and the money that he earned from selling some of his toys in a garage sale, he finally had enough money to get his DS this weekend.

He was soooo proud! He walked right up to the counter at Best Buy and gave the 2 ladies at the checkout counter the full run down. "I'm here to buy a Nintendo DS. I earned all of the money by myself and I really want the dark blue one." Ha! The ladies were so sweet to give him high 5's and tell him how proud they were of him. It was pretty cute. :)




I would post a picture of him with his DS, but he asked me not to put it on the blog. (He did give me permission to post the other pictures from Best Buy.) Apparently, he doesn't want to ruin the surprise of showing his friends and family his new purchase in person. I am not about to rain on his parade. ;)

2 comments:

Albus Adventures said...

WAY TO GO Clayton! We are so proud of you! Angel and Johnny can't wait to see your big purchase in person!

Ashlee said...

He is such a smart kid! Isn't Wild Kratts the best?! Cameron loves, loves that show. It's very educational! Clayton needs to teach Cameron a few things about saving!