Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Owen is 1 Month Old

My Baby Boy turned 1 month old today! What a wonderful whirlwind the last 31 days have been! I wouldn't trade a single second with this sweet baby. I absolutely love having a newborn! It's hard to think about the fact that Owen is my last tiny babe, so I just don't think about it. I live in denial. That's how I operate. Ha! I am making a conscious effort to savor every minute of his infancy, and not to think constantly about him being our last. However... he has been a great "grand finale"! I'm not sure that I could ever top this pregnancy, delivery, and newborn stage. We are going out with a bang, for sure! :)

One Month Photo Shoot This Afternoon




At 1 month old...

* Owen weighs 10 lbs. 9 oz.
* They didn't weigh him at his 1 month old appointment, but I measured him at home. He was 23 inches long! I measured him twice to double check. What a looonnnnggggg boy!
* Wears size 1 diapers
* Still wears a lot of his newborn clothes, minus the teeny tiny onesies that won't snap anymore. He has worn 1 or 2 of his 0-3 month outfits as well, but they are really loose.
* Owen is still a pretty serious little guy. He furrows his little brow and studies the world around him. He reminds me so much of Clayton as a baby...
* My poor little Love Bug has been starting to act a little reflux-y. He is not nearly as bad as Drew was, but he is fussy after most feedings and makes that same gaggy noise accompanied by the sour face. I'm trying to just wait it out and see if he gets better without medicine. We'll see...
* He has long wake periods during the day. It takes him an hour or so after he eats to settle down enough to sleep. :(
* He is still sleeping a 5 hour stretch at night, and had a 6 hour stretch one night last week. That stretch of sleep has been a lifesaver! Getting those hours of consistent sleep has kept me going. I can't imagine functioning without that sleep. :)
* Owen has the cutest little old man hairline. It cracks me up! Clayton and Drew had so much more hair than O!

* Clayton and Drew love, love, love their Baby Brother! Clayton has been super helpful, and it has been fun to watch him interact with Owen. He takes his Biggest Brother role seriously! Today Owen was crying and I asked Clayton to give him his pacifier. After a few seconds, Owen stopped crying. Clayton came in and said, "Owen didn't want his pacifier. He just wanted a hug." Melt my heart...

Drew has started asking to hold Owen several times a day. It is so sweet to watch him hold and talk to his baby brother! He will hold him for approximately 15 seconds before he says, "Baby Owen too heavy! Put him up." Ha!

Hanging out with the big boys before bed tonight


* Owen has grown so much! I took some pictures of him in his going home outfit today. It made me realize how much he has changed...
May 10, 2011

June 7, 2011



Baby Owen,

Oh, my darling boy... what a blessing you are to me! I love you more than you will ever be able to fathom. You will always be my "baby", of course, but I am really treasuring every moment of your actual babyhood. I spend a good portion of my day trying to burn each and every image of you into my memory forever. I smell your head, touch your downy soft hair, and look into your baby blue eyes - just praying that I'll never forget how you feel in my arms at that very moment. I am enjoying you so much! You are a precious gift from above, and I will never take that for granted.

You are such a serious boy! As much as I wish that time would stand still and I could keep you tiny forever, I am anxious to see some big smiles from you! You are pretty stingy with grins these days - you make us work for them! It is always worth the effort, though. :)

One would think that, since you are my third baby, I would have you figured out pretty quick. But, I don't! I still worry and over-analyze how you operate. Do you have reflux? Are you overtired? Did something that I ate upset your tummy? How are you getting out of your Miracle Blanket? Do you need a dose of Mylicon? I still question my judgment and capabilities at times. You are just still so tiny and new. You are perfectly innocent, and I haven't messed you up yet. I'd like to think that I can keep that track record up. Ha! But, I will make mistakes and so will you. I'll spend the rest of my days trying to figure you out (and vise versa), I'm sure. :)

I love you so deeply, Owen Thomas. I'm so, so grateful that you are mine!
Mommy

1 comments:

Doug and Kelli said...

I can't believe it has been a month!! I need to come see y'all ASAP... now that I am finally our for summer break :)