Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Crawling, Teething, Disciplining and Napping

Crawling, Teething, Disciplining, and Napping - hmmm.... that pretty much sums up the stage of motherhood that I am in. :)

Guess who is completely and totally mobile and crawling all over the place?
Oh, new found mobility - what a challenge! Drew officially started crawling (I don't count it until they have the hand-hand-knee-knee sequence down - I'm a rule follower. What can I say?) on Monday. He is now into EVERYTHING. He is particularly fond of pulling on cords and making whatever is attached to said cord fall onto the ground. Fun times. It's a good thing that he's so incredibly cute!

I can feel a tooth (the bottom right) starting to come to the surface. It hasn't broken through yet, but it probably will soon. Get a good look at that bare bottom gum, because it won't be bare for much longer!

Clayton has been giving me fits lately. I adore him with all of my being, but I feel like we are doing more than our fair share of disciplining him these days. I know that being rough & tumble is just part of being a boy, but he's wearing me out. Bless his heart. That's all I can say. Bless his heart.

He started saying he was "bored" yesterday, too. What!?!? Um, you're four and you have 5 million toys to play with - those were my thoughts. Instead of launching into the "there are starving children in Africa that don't have a single toy to play with" spiel, I tried to think of something fun to do. So, I busted out the face paints and brownie mix. Voila - Mr. Incredible bakes!
I have been giving Clayton "room time" instead of naptime. I set a timer for 1 1/2 hours and set him up with toys to play with in his room. If he falls asleep, fine; if he doesn't, than that is fine too. He almost always falls asleep, though. Yesterday I went up to tell him that his time was up and this is what I found. Even a superhero has to sleep, it seems. ;)
So, I'm searching the blogosphere for a little advice. What are your summer boredom busters? What activities do you do with your kids when it is 103 degrees outside and you are stuck inside? Last summer we spent A TON of time at the pool down the street. But, having a baby makes that pastime much more difficult. So... I'm at a loss for fun activities. I have a short list of tricks up my sleeve (making play-doh, potato stamping, stringing pasta/cereal, making popsicles, etc.), but I would be grateful for any other ideas. Somebody, help a sista out!

4 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Maybe we should come out and go to the pool together next week! Surely the 2 of us can handle 4 kids! That seems like good odds!

Hannah said...

Ah man! I was going to say potato stamps! What about colored sand art? Can use glue/paper or put it in a bottle or jar.

Gran said...

Hmmm...I seem to remember a little 4 year old dark-haired energetic girl. She would enjoy play dough with a drop of food coloring hidden in the middle. The more she kneeded the more pastel the color. This activity was good for at least 30 minutes until it was time to change colors. Then there is always worm painting...

Matt and Cindy Fleharty said...

Shrink-Y-Dinks!!!