Friday, August 03, 2007

House hunting, packing, and more packing

When our house sold so quickly, we went into panic mode trying to find somewhere to live. We knew that we wouldn't be able to find a house that we loved and close on it in 3 weeks, so we started looking into renting. I thought, "We'll rent for a few months, save some money, it will be fine..." Boy, was I wrong. Apartments sure have changed in the 5 years since we were renters. They offer all of these crazy services now (which you pay for, of course, in the long run). Several ones that we looked at had tanning beds, massage therapists, and a concierge to handle dinner reservations, dry cleaning, etc. One of them even had a *free* continental breakfast M-F and *free* wash a fold laundry service (drop you dirty clothes off in the morning, pick them up that same evening). All of these places, of course, cost more per month than our house payment. :( The few that would allow us to do a short term lease were ridiculously expensive and the ones that were affordable wanted us to sign a 1 year contract. It was very stressful!

Just when I thought that we may be homeless as of next Friday, my sweet hubby pulled through (as usual). He found a great rent house that is in a neighborhood that we were planning on looking in. We did have to sign a 6 month lease, but that will give us plenty of time to shop the neighborhood and to decide if that is where we want to live. We will also have access to all the neighborhood pools, a golf discount (for Wade, of course), and there is a pond and park just down the street. It is also going to cost considerably less than the apartments that we were looking at. Wade and I both feel a huge burden lifted from our shoulders. I must say, also, that driving to that neck of the woods in non-traffic hours today was miserable. I don't know how Wade made that commute everyday in traffic for almost a year. He is soooo much more patient than I.

Can I tell you how hard it is to pack a house full of stuff with a 2 year old? I seriously think that he unpacks boxes as fast as I can pack them. It is like an I Love Lucy episode. I pack a box, turn my back, and it is unpacked. He always has that cute little grin and a, "I sorry Mama, I help you" that I can't resist. He has been very good through all of this. I am praying that it isn't to hard on him to transition to a new home. Hopefully he won't be laying on a couch in 20 years telling a therapist about how displaced that he felt as a toddler. :)

Better get back to packing... Did I mention that I will be moving/cleaning next weekend on my birthday? We will also be moving again in 6 months, which falls on Wade's birthday weekend. Do we know how to celebrate or what?!?!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats ya'll!!! Where is the rent house?!?! I can't wait to see some pics and hear all about it :)

Anonymous said...

I left a comment several days ago, but it didn't post. I'm thankful you were able to sell your Sandalwood house so quickly. Poor Mrs. Ellis is still paying two house payments. Any one need a great house in Houston??