Monday, November 02, 2015

Drew Version 7.0

My Drew turned 7 on October 23rd!  Seven!

Drew's nickname is "the Machine" because homeboy can put away some groceries!  He loves to eat, that boy.  It's no surprise that he had 3 different birthday cakes.  ;)

Donut Cake Tower on the morning of his birthday
 Pumpkin Pie at Gran's house
 And a homemade cookie cake for his school celebration.

 At 7 years old, Drew:
*  Is 4'3" (91%) and weighs 65 pounds (92%).  He is a solid kid!  He isn't the least bit chubby, just solid.
*  He wears a size 7/8 shirt and size 7 pants.  His shoes are a size 2.
*  He has lost 6 teeth - 2 on top, 4 on bottom.
*  He bites his nails.  Ugh - such a horrible habit!  I can't seem to make him stop.
*  Drew is the clumsiest little thing!  He trips and stumbles and steps on my feet constantly!  He is his mother's child, for sure!
*  He says, "Noi-ce!" multiple times a day.  Not sure where he got this odd pronunciation of "nice," but it is his go to phrase.  ;)
*  Drew reads really, really well!  He is a level N in RazKids and zips through anything that you give him to read.  His comprehension is wonderful also.  The other day, I gave him his Nate the Great book and asked him to go and do his assigned reading.  I assumed that he had read the assignment sheet that said to read p.7-12.  He came back a bit later and I asked him if he read the first chapter.  He said, "Ooops!  I was only supposed to read the first chapter?  I read the whole book!"  That book was supposed to last for 3 weeks - haha!
*  Drew is such a giver.  He is constantly using his spirit store money to buy for his brothers or friends.  He is generous and such a sweet little sharer.  That is my very favorite thing about my little Drew!
*  I have a good friend that works in the office at our little school.  The other day, she said, "I think that Drew is 'the man' in first grade.  All of the kids want to be his friend!"  ;)
*  He is playing baseball this season and is doing pretty well.  He got a run early on, but has struggled a bit with batting since then.  I think it is more that he is nervous about everyone watching when he is up to bat than him not being able to hit the ball.  We shall see....
*  Wade bought some little mini NFL football helmets for Drew last year when he got to go to a Cowboy's preseason game.  Drew started using the iPad to figure out the NFL line up for the week.  Then he would position the helmets with opposing teams facing each other.  He did it every week last Fall, and has continued to do it all season this year.  Funny little football fan...

*  He LOVES Legos and Minecraft.  Those two things consume a lot of his free time.
*  Drew has a mucocele under his tongue.  It is just an odd little bump that comes and goes.  I took him to an oral surgeon (at our dentist's request) and he said that he will need to remove it surgically if it hasn't gone away by the summertime.  Fingers crossed that it is gone for good soon!
*  Drew is a quiet little thinker.  He stews on questions, but is reluctant to ask them unless prompted.  The other day, I could tell that something was on his mind.  I asked him if he had any questions, and he replied, "Why couldn't I eat the cracker and drink the juice at church?"  We had taken the Lord's Supper weeks before, but he had be thinking about it ever since.  Bless his heart.  I really want to have open communication lines with my kids, but he is just so timid.  I'm praying that he will ask me anything that is on his mind and that I will be better at encouraging him to do so.  
Drew's Birthday Questionaire:
1.  What is your favorite thing about being 7?
     Being in the first grade.
2.  Who are your best friends?
     Luke, Slade, Willow, Owen, Clayton, Blake, Eric Maggie, & Sadie
3.  What is your favorite thing to do?
     Probably... going to the park with my friends.
4.  What is your favorite color?
     Red.
5.  What is your favorite food?
     Popcorn, chicken & rice, green grapes, cookie cake, pumpkin pie
6.  What is your favorite thing to do with your family?
     Swim in Destin
7.  What is your favorite toy?
     My bike, Legos
8.  What do you want to be when you grow up?
     A police
9.  What makes you happy?
     Swimming with friends....  Vacation....
10.  What makes you sad?
     Homework - mostly Math
11.  What is your favorite TV show?
     Mighty Med
12.  What is your favorite book?
     Magic Treehouse, A to Z Mysteries, Hardy Boys Jr.
13.  What is your favorite subject at school?
      Science, Grammar, History, Reading, Music
14.  What is your favorite sport?
      Baseball - First Base
15.  What is your favorite restaurant?
      Pei Wei, Subway, McDonald's
16.  What is your favorite vacation spot?
      Destin

Drew Carpenter...  You are the sweetest little soul!  Man, I just could not love you more!  You are kind to your friends, a super snuggly cuddler, and smart as a whip.  You are still sensitive to correction and want to please your parents and others.  You are my inside kid - much more likely to be playing Legos, or on the wii, or on the computer than to be playing outside.  You are excelling at first grade - making over a hundred on your first quarter report card in several subjects.  You have worked so hard to learn and are a little sponge soaking up every piece of information.  

Your Science teacher LOVES you!  She is a doll and always has funny stories to tell about you.  She told me a story the other day that is so "you."  She said that she has a bucket of popsicle sticks with every student's name on one.  She draws from that to call on kids to answer questions.  She said that you get really nervous when the student that she calls on doesn't know the answer.  You just can't handle the awkward silence of that child being on the spot!  She said that you always whisper the answer to help your classmate out.  ;)  Luckily, Mrs. Miller knows that you are a sweetheart, so she just laughs at how badly you want to help out your friends.  She has had to ask you not to a million times, but she said that you just can't stop yourself.  Ha!  You two also have a little inside joke going where she has been trying to guess your middle name all year.  She has guessed and guessed, but you just won't budge.  I think that Mrs. Miller will always stick out as one of your favorite teachers.  ;)

You have not yet made a profession of faith, nor have you asked many questions about our faith.  That is totally fine, of course!  I just pray and pray that the Holy Spirit will prompt your heart to realize your need for a Savior.  That is 100% a work of the Spirit, I know, and I trust that He will work in your heart and bring you to the point of salvation.  You just internalize so many things and are so quiet.  I want to be able to answer your questions and help you to understand how deep the Father's love is for you, but I know that only the Lord can plant that in your soul.  I pray that you will grow to be a mighty warrior for Christ that will cling to Him and never let go.  Lord, let it be so!

I love you to pieces, my Drew Boo!  I am so grateful that God gave you to me and Daddy!  You are a joy to raise and nurture.  You have been such a bright spot in all of my days for the last 7 years, I so look forward to the future with you.  You are going to go big places and do big things, I just know it!

I love you to the moon and back!
Mommy

0 comments: