Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Owen is 10 Months Old!

Owen is 10 months old today! Double digits... How is that possible??? He is still a teeny tiny baby to me, and I am going to hang on to every single second of his babyhood. He is soooo much fun right now! I'm loving every minute with him. :)

* We dropped Owen's crib down to the lower setting immediately after I took his 9 month picture. He was starting to get up on his knees and it made me so nervous to have him on the higher setting. It's so much harder to change his crib sheet now, but I feel much better that he is safe in his bed.

At 10 months old:

* Owen weighed 19 lbs. 4 oz. today when I weighed him. He was 29 inches long. He gained 12 ounces this month, and I am pretty sure that it all went to his cheeks and his thighs. His face looks so much rounder now, and I cannot get enough of his chunky thighs. I waited a long time for those thighs to fatten up. They are so stinkin' cute! ;)

* He wears size 3 diapers. His clothes are still mostly 9-12 month, or 12 month. He is starting to wear some 18 month sleepers and rompers purely for the length. His 12 month outfits that are one piece are capri length on him.

* He still has 2 teeth - bottom central incisors. I don't feel any other teeth coming in. Both of my other babies got their top teeth during their 10th month of life. I'm not looking forward to the pain that those big ole teeth cause. :(

* Owen still nurses 3-4 times a day, but our nursing days are coming to an end. It is becoming less and less of a quiet, serene snuggle time and more and more of a wrestling match. Ha! He is showing signs of being ready to wean, and I am okay with that. Breastfeeding has been a sweet, sweet experience with Owen and I am so thankful that we made it 10 whole months. Making it to the double digits is a big accomplishment for us. I'm so proud of us for making it this far.

* Owen takes 2 naps most days - a 2 hour morning nap and a 3 hour afternoon nap. If he only gets a short nap in the morning (like on Sundays at church), then you can guarantee that he will take a 4 hour afternoon nap. That growing boy needs his rest! He sleeps about 11 hours at night.

* On a typical day, Owen wakes up at 7:30 am. He nurses and eats his breakfast. Then he goes down for his morning nap from 9:30-11:30. He nurses and eats his lunch. Then he plays until 1:30 or 2 when he goes back down. He'll usually sleep until 5 or so. (Unless I have to wake him up to go get Clayton at school. In which case, he takes an extra evening nap for about 2 hours.) He'll wake up to nurse and eat dinner. Then playtime and bath until bedtime at 8:30. He is on a pretty good schedule. Now that he is down to two naps, it is easier to be consistent with his schedule.
* The picture below makes me want to laugh and cry all at the same time. It's just wrong to see him upright, but he looks so proud doing it! I don't know if my heart will be able to handle him learning to walk. It seriously may do me in...
* Owen loves his "nanny" that he sleeps with. He buries his face in it as soon as he lays down. It is so adorable!

* Owen is pulling up to his knees some (usually on the train table - he must know that the big boys try to keep their cars out of his reach). ;) I'm sure that he will be pulling himself up to a stand before we know it.

* He has definitely mastered the art of crawling on his hands and knees this month. No more army crawling here! He is super fast, too. He is in full time exploring mode. :)
My Darling Owen Thomas,

What a big boy you are growing to be! You are a sweet snuggly baby, and I cannot get enough of you.

There's something that has been on my heart that I want you to know... I went through a season of trials right before you were born. I was in a tough place spiritually. I felt like the Lord kept allowing bad things to happen to me and to my loved ones. I felt like He was punishing me, and I didn't know why. I felt like God didn't want to bless me. It was a dark, dark time in my life.

I look at you now, and I know that my sorrow has turned to joy. Everything about you is an overflowing of blessings from the Father. I know that you are a gift that I don't deserve, but I am so, so grateful that you are mine. You are a tangible illustration of the Lord's mercy. I know now that the Lord doesn't desire to withhold His goodness from me. You are living proof of that!

I know that I say this all of the time, but you are just the best baby! You eat when you can, sleep when you can, and play when you can. You are on a good schedule now, but there are plenty of days when I have to push you past naptime. You always do so well, and rarely fuss. I know that you are going to give me heck as a teenager, because you have just been too easy as a baby. I'm going to count my blessings while they last! ;)

I hope that one day you will know how much you mean to me. I am blessed to be your Mommy.

I love you to the moon and back,
Mommy

0 comments: