Saturday, October 01, 2011

9/18/11 - A Very Special Sunday

September 18th was a very special Sunday for our family! Clayton was baptized and we dedicated Owen to the Lord. It was a glorious day, and my heart was full of joy all morning long!

Clayton's baptism was at the beginning of the service. I will never forget those moments in time as long as I live. We have talked at great lengths about what the picture of baptism really means and the difference between salvation and baptism. As I was getting Clayton in his robe and ready, we discussed it some more. I told him how proud I was of him for giving his heart to Jesus and he smiled from ear to ear. It was such a precious mother/son moment for us to share.

Our pastor was so sweet with Clayton and prepared him well. He was so excited and ready to take the next step in proclaiming his faith! I got to stand right next to the baptistery while Clayton was submerged. I cried many a happy tear huddled there in that little spot. :)

Pastor Keith said some lovely things and baptized our boy. It was a beautiful picture of the transformation that has taken place in Clayton's heart. He climbed the steps out of the baptistery, and we went into the dressing room to get him dried off and back in his clothes. Clayton asked me why I was crying, and I told him that I was just so happy for him. He joyfully said, "Mama, I've been washed in Jesus' perfect blood!" Yes, you have, Sweet Boy! Yes, you have! The look on his face when he said those words is etched in my memory forever.


"Buried with Christ in baptism...
"Raised to walk in a new life." (Love his big grin!)
At the end of the service, we got the opportunity to dedicate our Owen to the Lord. It was such a full circle moment for Wade and I! I held my precious baby and couldn't help but to flashback to when we dedicated Clayton. I prayed then that Clayton would recognize his need for a Savior early in life, and God was so faithful to answer my prayer. I said the same prayer over Owen. I prayed that he will come to know Christ at an early age. I also prayed that all of my boys will never stray from their faith and will walk with the Lord all of the days of their lives. Lord, please hold them tight!

We chose Paul's charge to Timothy found in 1 Timothy 6:11-12 as Owen's life verse.

"But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses."
- 1 Timothy 6:11-12

That is our deepest prayer for our baby boy - to reject this world and strive to be like Christ, to fight hard for his faith, and to hold tight to the promise of eternal life in Jesus Christ. Raising three little boys in this wicked world seems like such a daunting task. We take great comfort in knowing that the Lord loves them even more than we do and that He will draw them close. We will do our part, and let our gracious God take care of the rest!

Our Family
Wade & I with our precious babe
So many of our family members were there to share the occasion with us! It meant the world to us to have the support and love of our families!
Our family with our Pastor
Our Children's Minister did the baby dedication, and he has such a heart for the children of our church.
Owen was so darling in his dedication clothes. I'm such a sucker for a classic bubble. So sweet!

We gave him a silver rattle with crosses on the ends.
He is a fan! I hope that he keeps it forever and passes it down to his own children.

Thank you, God, for all three boys that you have given us! May they grow to be Godly men that continue the long legacy of faith in You.

1 comments:

Matt and Cindy Fleharty said...

So thankful your family had such a great Sunday :)