Friday, March 20, 2009

The Post in Which I Had a Horrible Idea...

Man, do I ever miss my Clay-boy! The house is painfully quiet and I keep thinking of activities that we could be doing together outside in this beautiful weather. But... he is having a fun time with his Grammie & Papaw. He caught 2 fish that were "bigger than Grammie's hand, but not as big as Papaw's" and playing outside in the "forest." They have lots of trees and room to roam. He's having a ball, I'm sure.

And... with only 1 kiddo, Wade and I have gotten a lot done around the house. We had a long list of things that we wanted to do this week - things that are hard to do with our sweet (but VERY energetic) big boy around. The biggest project that we (we, meaning mostly me, of course :) ) wanted to complete was painting our playroom.

I have been thinking about what I wanted to do for awhile now. I wanted something bold and graphic that would grow with the boys. It needed to be fun and spark creativity, but not be too busy. I finally came up with a vision in my head. I wanted deep blue walls with green & orange stripes in the middle.

In my head, it was a good plan. In reality, however, stripes are a pain in the behind to paint. :( Wade started off saying, "this is your project. You're going to do this." I committed to do it all by myself (knowing full well that he wouldn't be able to stay away & would end up helping me). We both love a good project, and I knew that he would be sucked in in no time. I was right. ;)

Let me tell you, people, stripes are from the devil! I totally underestimated how hard it was going to be to paint those 3 stripes. If any of you are ever contemplating painting stripes, please call me! I will do my best to talk you out of it. Not fun...

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we completed the project. My sweet hubs said, "I'm not painting again for a very long time, so don't even think about coming up with any more of your crazy ideas."

Guess that Clayton will have to live with 4 white bedroom walls for a little bit longer. :)

Now it is finished and it is going to be a lot more fun to look at than the white walls that were previously there.

This is what it looked like when we first looked at the house with our realtor (before we replaced the carpet and moved in last March).
This is what it looked like last week with the massive amounts of toys that my children own.
Mid-Project
The finished product
We still have to move in the furniture and reorganize all of the toys before Clayton gets home tomorrow. I have some fun ideas for curtains & accessories also. That, however, will require yet another trip to Target and Home Depot....

6 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Wow That looks great!

Matt and Cindy Fleharty said...

Very nice!! The stripes look perfect!!

Hannah said...

love, love, love it! ja's room has 6 stripes so i feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. We did the exact same pattern on Ashley's wall a couple of years ago. It was a beating for sure, but well worth it!
Looks good...


Jay

Brent and Abbey said...

looks great! I think you should get crazy and paint the fan blades in stripes too!

Tara said...

I love the colors. That looks great! We did stripes in Hailey's room and know your pain.